I also love tabletop games, especially D&D and MtG. I'm looking forward to learning what Mastodon is all about!
This is such a good read for your lunch break, even (especially!) if you have a passing familiarity with gender and race issues in Sport: https://thenib.com/gender-divisions-in-sports-trans-athletes
mass surveillance, united states (boost with CW) Show more
From @cassidyjames in https://mastodon.social/@cassidyjames/102591605378315841
This would have sounded like sci-fi conspiracy nonsense not that long ago, but: the US government has military spy balloons flying above my hometown, potentially watching and recording all vehicle movements. Umm, wtf?
some facts about putting pronouns in profiles (247 words) Show more
- Some people put pronouns in their profiles.
- Some people get misgendered a lot when they don't put pronouns in their profile, and put pronouns in their profile so they get misgendered less.
- Some of those aforementioned people are trans people.
- Bigots like to pick out things that the subjects of their bigotry do as "weird" to justify their harassment and abuse.
- When cis members of a community put pronouns in their profiles, harassment for listing pronouns becomes less. Anti-trans bigots are more hesitant to do it because doing so feels less socially acceptable; pro-trans people are emboldened to speak out against any such harassment that does occur. Further, trans people feel safer putting pronouns in their profiles.
- Not every cis person is comfortable or safe putting pronouns in their profile. (Not every 'cis' person is cis.) For that matter, not every /trans/ person is comfortable or safe putting pronouns in their profile. For some people, it's a no-brainer to include them or not; for other people, it's a hard choice, and they're the only ones who can make that choice.
- We talk about putting pronouns in profiles because we want people who've never thought about it to realize that it's possible. We can't make a choice for them, but they can't make the choice if they don't know there's one to be made, or what they're choosing between ... so we talk about it.
I cannot believe what I am reading nor the fact that I am reading it.
Writer, podcaster, leftist, New Yorker.
As you might know, I am a full time internet
The Wandering Shop is a Mastodon instance initially geared for the science fiction and fantasy community but open to anyone. We want our 'local' timeline to have the feel of a coffee shop at a good convention: tables full of friendly conversation on a wide variety of topics. We welcome everyone who wants to participate, so long as you're willing to abide by our code of conduct.