thinking of writing a 'how to adult' book to explain all the day-to-day shit that's never taught:
- who cleans the toilet cleaner (spoiler: you)
- what the fuck do you do with an old mattress
- bugs: when are they a problem and when are they chill?
- lifehack: a co-working space with a better movie selection than netflix, no membership fee, and professional researchers on location, all for FREE (a millennial re-discovers libraries)
- turning strangers into friends
any other ideas people have?
@paranoid I have a few!
- no, seriously, get enough sleep for a month and eat a vegetable sometimes everything will be easier, and other secrets of inhabiting a perishing meatsack
- how to have neighbours without making them hate your noisy habits (spoiler: some of my neighbours really really need to learn this one)
- how to wear clothes for a variety of grown-up situations (it never occurred to me to e.g. dress more conservatively than my baseline to see the GP, for example)
@andrew68k @paranoid I have been advised by a friend who is Good At This to aim closer to "middle-class professional" than "alternative hippie who hates ironing" and it shouldn't make a difference in getting taken seriously, but it does.
If you are a cis man then you probably have a head start in this, to be fair, and can turn up in scruffy jeans.
The Wandering Shop is a Mastodon instance initially geared for the science fiction and fantasy community but open to anyone. We want our 'local' timeline to have the feel of a coffee shop at a good convention: tables full of friendly conversation on a wide variety of topics. We welcome everyone who wants to participate, so long as you're willing to abide by our code of conduct.