Follow

1. See a bunch of broken characters in output.
2. Set up test case to explicitly convert latin1 to utf8.
3. Baffle at the inability to break the test case in the way the real code is broken.
4. Look at HTTP headers on real code.
🤦‍♂️
5. Delete testcase & fix the damn header.

And I just remembered I ran into exactly the same problem on one of my hobbyist pages a couple of months ago, only with a completely different stack generating the file and a completely different program reading it.

No wonder I didn't think of it at first.

@KelsonV

Until I got to "output" at the end of point 1, I thought you were talking about editing fiction.

@Nezchan I contemplated adding a joke about that, actually! 😂

Sign in to participate in the conversation
Wandering Shop

The Wandering Shop is a Mastodon instance initially geared for the science fiction and fantasy community but open to anyone. We want our 'local' timeline to have the feel of a coffee shop at a good convention: tables full of friendly conversation on a wide variety of topics. We welcome everyone who wants to participate, so long as you're willing to abide by our code of conduct.